Program objective: Develop models to predict wave-WEC interactions and inform optimal WEC design for power generation and survivability.
Data and modelling are critically needed to ensure the efficiency and survivability of offshore technologies. This includes the predictability of the hydrodynamic motions of a wave energy converter design (and an array) in prevalent ocean conditions. This program fosters a strong research collaboration with Curtin University in Perth.
The “Hydrodynamics / Wave-Structure Interaction” program within WERC conducts research into:
- Extreme response analysis;
- Development of hydrodynamic tools for modelling full-scale wave energy converters;
- In-situ device monitoring;
- Extension of tools to assess design loads and power performance of arrays of wave energy converters;
- Implementation of new design methods.